departure from Adam Mickiewicz Square
return to Poznań
is a village 24 km south-west of Poznań, located on the border of the Wielkopolska
National Park. It is of medieval origins - first mentions were recorded
in 12th century when it belonged to the Łodzia family.
manor house in Będlewo is an example of a moderately rich gentry's country
house. Since the 17th century the village became a property of the Potocki
family, one of the most powerful aristocratic families in The Polish-Lithuanian
Commonwealth. However, its Wielkopolska branch was rather modest. At its
best time in 19th century the entire estate consisted of seven villages
and Bolesław Potocki, its most successful owner, also established a bank
house was built by Bolesław Potocki around 1866 in Neo-Gothic English style
(architect unknown), replacing an earlier structure. It is surrounded by
an extensive parkland, also in an English style, which gradually merges
into a forest park. The parkland includes two ponds, one with an island
and a romantic grotto and is also decorated with a marble fountain.
manor house went through several phases of destruction, neglect and renovation.
During WWII it was occupied by Nazis who destroyed furnishings and a collection
of Polish kings' portraits. Its condition was further worsened by the ownership
of the socialist state. Some renovation works started towards the end of
1970s and are still continuing.
so many other manor houses and palaces, it has its own legend of a ghost
haunting the place, the so called "Black Lady". This legend is rooted in
a family scandal with a tragic end since a beautiful daughter of the owner
had an affair with his grandson from the first marriage. Both lovers were
shot dead by a jealous husband who nonetheless was acquitted on murder
conference dinner will be held in the Knight's Room whose walls display
a partly preserved Potocki’s coat of arms.